With the weather improving and more businesses opening including restaurants and bars, many are looking forward to getting out again to spend time with friends and family. When heading out for a long awaited evening with friends, it is important to exercise caution to avoid an alcohol related accident. Every year impaired driving results in thousands of deaths and tens of thousands of injuries across the nation, with alcohol impaired driving crashes account for nearly 30 percent of all traffic deaths.
Preventing DUI Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends the following tips for a safe drive home:
- Choose a non-drinking designated driver prior to going out
- Take advantage of ride share services including taxis or call a friend
- If you know someone who has been drinking, help them arrange a self-ride home
- When hosting a get together, make sure all guests are o.k. to drive before they depart
- Seat belts save lives so buckle up
- If you spot an impaired driver on the road contact the police for the safety of all motorists and pedestrians
Unfortunately, people are injured in drunk driving accidents every year in the Quad Cities area resulting in medical bills, lost wages, property damage and more. When you or a family member is injured in a motor vehicle accident due to the drunk driving negligence of a driver, it is important to seek help. Contact the Quad Cities car accident lawyers of McDonald Woodward & Carlson PC for immediate assistance at 563-355-6478.