KWQC reports that yesterday evening, Davenport police responded to a two-car accident where a van struck a car waiting at a stoplight. The driver of the car and a person in the van were taken to the hospital. Fortunately, there were no life threatening injuries.
Rear-end collisions such as this are all too common. When one vehicle rear-ends another, there is sometimes a presumption that the driver who rear ended the car in front is at fault for the accident. However, there are times when both drivers may be found negligent to some degree.
Negligence may be found if a person is not following the rules of the road or if their actions fall short of what a reasonable person would have done under similar circumstances. All drivers on the road owe a duty of care to each other so if drivers do not pay attention, drive at unreasonable speeds with regard to posted speed limits or conditions, don’t follow at safe distances or fail to use turn signals, they may be at fault if a car accident occurs.
Who is at Fault in a Rear-End Car Accident?
In cases where a driver rear-ends a leading vehicle, they will likely be at least partially negligent. Because car drivers may have to come to sudden stops to avoid hazards in the road, drivers following them are required to travel at a safe distance.
However, leading vehicles also have a responsibility. For example, if a leading car does not have working brake lights or does not follow through on a signaled turn, they may also be found at fault if a rear end collision occurs.
If more than one driver is at fault, the liability is split according to a percentage. This may result in one driver being found 30% at fault and the other driver 70% – compensation for damages to a vehicle will be reimbursed accordingly.
Contact an Experienced Davenport Car Accident Lawyer for Help
If you or a family member has been injured in a Davenport car accident, contact the Davenport personal injury lawyers of McDonald, Woodward & Carlson PC for assistance. We offer experienced legal representation to clients throughout Eastern Iowa and the Quad Cities communities who have been injured in motor vehicle crashes, including Iowa car accidents, Quad Cities truck accidents and motorcycle accidents. Call today at 563-355-6478 for a free consultation of your case.