Iowa is an at-will employment state, meaning generally that employers can terminate employees at any time without reason. However, your employer cannot fire you for reasons that violate the state’s public policies. Specifically, if you are terminated because you fall into a protected category or because you reported wrongdoing, your employer can be held accountable.
Representing Employees In Difficult Employment Cases
At McDonald, Woodward & Carlson, P.C., Attorneys At Law, we represent employees in wrongful termination cases and other important employment matters. Our job is to protect the rights of these employees and make sure they are treated lawfully.
If you believe you were wrongfully terminated by your employer, we may be able to help. We handle cases involving:
- Employees who were fired or laid off because of their age, sex, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability and/or other protected classification
- Employees who lost their jobs because they reported illegal or unethical practices to management, government agencies or law enforcement — these are commonly known as whistleblower cases
- Nurses and nursing home staff who made reports to state boards and were fired in retaliation
- Workers who were terminated because they filed workers’ compensation claims
- Terminations related to sexual harassment and other forms of harassment
Many terminations are unfair, but not all are legally actionable. We can help you understand whether your situation warrants a wrongful termination claim.
Wrongful Dismissal Lawyer Serving The Quad Cities | Contact Us For A Consultation
Need to speak to a Davenport wrongful termination lawyer? Contact us for a consultation about your case.